Somewhere deep inside all of us is a desire to improve our homes. The television industry has certainly tapped into this desire over recent years as the programme schedule of every channel is full of property programmes which show couples in a variety of settings renovating their homes. There’s something hugely satisfying in watching the transformation come to life and see just what challenges the couples overcome to bring about these changes.
However, this weekend, you don’t need to look to your TV for this inspiration, because it could all be happening right next door, and is being brought to life by Green Open Homes.
The Green Open Homes network aims to support low-carbon open homes events across the country through free resources and advice.
A Green Open Homes event is an opportunity to ask a neighbour about an energy saving improvement that they’ve made, and see if it might work for you. On an event day, people who have made energy saving improvements open up their homes to share their experiences. Visiting a home is a great way to find out about the reality of getting solar panels, insulation, triple glazing, or new heating options without talking to a salesman. You can have a good look at the technology, ask the residents whether the installation was a hassle, and find out much they’re really saving on their energy bills as a result.
Green Open Homes is funded by the Department of Energy and Climate Change, and delivered by the Centre for Sustainable Energy in partnership with Bristol Green Doors. The network benefits from advisory support from Forum for the Future, the National Trust, Transition Network and the Association of Environmentally Conscious Builders.
Here’s a little taster of what you can expect from a Green Open Homes event
The video above was made by the organisers of Frome Open Homes, one of the events supported by a Green Open Homes grant in 2014.
If you’d like to find an open home near you to visit this weekend then look no further, just check out Search for Green Open Homes
Can’t find a Green Open Home near you? Then why not open up your own home and invite your neighbours in, it could be the start of a whole new way of clean energy living!
Do YOU support 100% Clean Energy Future? Choose a way YOU can take action
- Sign Avaaz petition calling for 100% Clean Energy Future https://secure.avaaz.org/en/100_clean_31do/?fpla
- Put your money where your values are and invest in renewable energy projects https://www.abundancegeneration.com/
- Add your community energy or renewables business to Simon Mallett’s http://www.renewables-map.co.uk/allgoodradio/
- Show what you care about by posting a photo on #fortheloveof http://www.theclimatecoalition.org/campaigns/love
- Be part of the global climate march on September 21st 2014 https://www.facebook.com/peoplesclimatemarchlondon?fref=ts
- Visit http://www.mixcloud.com/debbiehyde88/ to enjoy more positive stories, share these blogs with friends and family and join me @debbiehyde7 on Twitter